The Decatur Recreation Center
231 Sycamore St., Decatur
May I Have This Dance?
CCD dances every Friday from 8:00pm - 10:45pm (new dancers lesson from 7:30 - 8:00pm) at the Decatur Recreation Center, one block off the square in downtown Decatur, GA.
CCD dances on 1st, 3rd, and 5th Tuesdays from 8:00pm - 10:15pm at the Messiah Lutheran Church.
Please see our Schedule page for details.
You can also find other essential information about our dances on the About CCD page.
Suggest a Theme for ADW 2018
You -- yes you -- could be dancing for FREE at CCD's 42nd annual Atlanta Dance Weekend on November 9-11, 2018 at the Decatur Recreation Center when Syncopaths and Toss the Possum with Gaye Fifer and Jesse Edgerton take the stage.
All you need to do to score that free ticket to the weekend is submit the winning THEME for the 2018 Atlanta Dance Weekend!
Theme submission DEADLINE: Midnight, April 30
METHOD: Send an email to Deanna Palumbo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be eligible for consideration, an entry must include:
- Your Contact Information:
- Name, telephone number and/or email.
- A Catchy Dance Weekend Theme:
- Click here to see a complete list of past dance weekend themes.
- Brief Description of the Theme:
- Provide a 1-3 sentence description of what you have in mind for the theme.
- Describe what sort of decorations your theme might use. HINT: Themes that won't cost much for decorations (e.g., materials that might be found in dancers' attics, basements and closets) will have an edge.
- Describe how people might dress up on Saturday evening to celebrate your theme. HINT: Themes that lead to varied, imaginative, danceable costumes will have an edge.
- Describe a skit your theme might prompt. HINT: Themes that lend themselves to a clever skit will have an edge.
Enter as many ideas as you wish!
The Festival Committee will winnow entries down to the top 10. All dancers may vote on the top 10 from May 4 - 11 by email or at the May 4th and May 11th dances.
The winner will be announced during the week of May 14, and at the May 18th dance.
If you sent in an entry in the past, and it didn't win, try again! We don't save entries from year to year.
In the event of duplicate submissions, only the first entry received will be considered.
See Something, Say Something ...
Contra is a high-spirited dance that is elegant, lively and fun. It also needs to be and to feel safe.
To help ensure the safety of our dancers, CCD will not condone inappropriate behavior.
Inappropriate behavior includes, but is not limited to:
CLICK HERE to read CCD's policy on dangerous, illegal, or offensive behaviors and how you can report what you have seen or experienced.
Information for New Dancers...
Can We Talk?
Do you have questions about our contra dance?
Email or call one of our Steering Committee members.
Are you interested in booking a band and caller for your own dance? Email the CCD band and caller scheduler.
Lights, Camera, Action!
A sampling of cool contra videos
Policies: Loved Ones at the Dance
- Children are welcome to dance with us! For the safety of all, children may not be in the dance hall itself unless they are actually participating in the dance. Children in the lobby and hallways must be capable of behaving appropriately and parents are responsible for their children's behavior (and for their misbehavior).
- Experiencing an allergy or phobia attack can really put a damper on a dancer's evening so please leave your animal companions at home*. You may want to show them a YouTube clip (see above) so they know what you are up to when you're gone.
*Seeing eye dogs and other licensed service animals are exempt from this prohibition of course.